Tuesday 11 September 2012

Bookbinding, tablet weaving and mask making

Many thanks to K for showing me how to make a book!  I am very pleased how it turned out, although in hindsight I would have used the flour paste glue for the cover instead of the fabric glue as I think it would have stuck better! However, several days under a heavy weight seems to have sorted out the last few blisters which hadn't stuck down quite right!

My first codex

All four codices

Sewing the codex

The finished binding

The finished article!

The endpaper

On display



Thanks also to Jo for showing me tablet weaving & mask making...  all problems with these parts of the challenge are entirely down to pilot error!

The mask was going fine until I cut the eye holes... too big :(  I am going to try to remedy it with judicious use of decoration, but we'll have to see how that goes.  Here's a few pictures from the process, before it went wrong!

The base mask.

Shaping the decorative cogs
  
Cogs fixed to the mask, all painted & pretty!


As for Tablet weaving - I think that's one for you Jo!  I tried, and the first little piece I made was OK...

Once I got going, all was well!

 Then I tried something a little more complex, with a border either side.  I had a lot of trouble with the S & Z threaded cards next to each other getting caught up together, and forgetting which way I was turning the cards to make the pattern!

Not so good....

I tried another variant, tubular weaving, which worked OK, but still not spectacularly well. 


Tubular!
Remembering what Jo had said about tablet weaving needing more cords to make it worthwhile, otherwise I might as well be doing finger-braiding, I figured I would look up finger-braiding too... and I tried that as well. Once I realised how it was supposed to be done, it was fine, but I don't think I'll make a habit of it!

A simple finger braid

Finally, I decided to try out normal weaving, since Jo had loaned me a loom to do the tablet weaving on... the sides kept pulling in and I just don't think I have the patience for this kind of thing!


Nope!

2 comments:

  1. Wow - three new things in one blog post! You're super productive! I love the book in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :D I did all three things in the space of about a week, too; so I'm feeling very productive ;)

    ReplyDelete